1. Outer appearance > Inner character
- Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30
I really hope I’m not the first one to tell you that outer appearance isn’t everything, in fact, it’s not even some of the thing.
Furthermore, I’ve noticed that there have been some subtle and not so subtle ways in which the world is telling girls the opposite of this from a young age.
Commercials, movies, and music are just some of the main proponents of this lie, that appearance is more important than inner character.
When we hear music that objectifies a girl based on her outer appearance or watch a movie that only uses a female character, not for character development but only for her looks, it’s sending a very confusing message to girls about what’s important.
Again and again, the Bible praises Godly character in women and this must be what we look to in combating this lie.
“People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7b
Furthermore, we ought to be identifying and exposing when the world imposes this false idea in our culture.
2. Motherhood is not as important as your career
- Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.” Proverbs 31:25-30
First off, I understand there is a great deal of outside pressure from the world on a girl to pursue a career over motherhood.
The thought that motherhood is insignificant is rarely stated, but all to often worked into subliminal messages in our society.
I also understand that a woman’s greatest call just as a man is to glorify God. However, the out-flowing of obedience to this command will look different for different people, and that’s ok.
My thought would be to simply consider that whatever path you take as a woman, whether that be serving God through your career or serving God through your raising of your children or both, that you would not look down on someone who has chosen a different avenue to serve God.
The problem is that this is exactly what the world does.
The stay at home mother is often seen as insignificant to the world. When, in fact, this role is one of the most influential roles in the world.
Shepherding the hearts of the next generation must never be looked upon as insignificant!
I could say a lot more on that but, this blog post is already getting too long.
3. You can’t make a difference
Yes, yes this is the same lie from 3 Lies The World is Telling Guys, but only because I think it’s just as relevant for girls. If you haven’t read it yet, now’s your chance!
Let me know about another lie the world is telling girls in the comments!